Chocolate bars just got a dairy-free makeover! Skip the supermarket snack stop and bake a batch of Sammy's Kitchen vegan millionaires shortbread bars.
Not only are these bars just as delicious (if not better) than a Twix, but they're also gluten free and packed full of healthy alternatives like raw cocao, coconut oil and dates.
For the base
- 100g coconut oil
- 100g ground almonds
- 4-5 heaped tbsp gluten free flour
- 160g maple syrup
- 1tsp vanilla extract
For the caramel
- 180g pitted dates
- 90g almond butter
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
For the chocolate
- 50g coconut oil
- 30g raw cacao
- 2-4 tbsp maple syrup
- Sprinkling of pink Himalayan sea salt
- Melt the coconut oil in the microwave for about 40 seconds. Mix in with the rest of the base ingredients. Keep in mind that it won't be as dry as regular shortbread but shouldn't be too wet either!
- Line a 9x7 inch (or 8x8) in with grease proof paper and press your dough into the bottom of it. Pop it in the freezer while you make your caramel.
- Take the stones out of the dates if they're not already pitted and add to a good food processor along with the other caramel ingredients. Blitz until completely smooth and caramel-like. You may need to add some more water to make the mix more spreadable. Spread the caramel over the base and pop back in the freezer.
- To make the chocolate coating, melt the coconut oil in a small pan on low heat. Mix in the cacao powder so there are no lumps. Add the maple syrup to taste and pour this mix over the shortbread and caramel then spread evenly with a knife. Sprinkle on some salt and pop back in the freezer overnight.
- Once set, cut up and pop into an Igluu meal prep container. Keep them in the freezer and take out whenever you fancy a health treat!