All hail the ultimate breakfast food! Waffles are the cornerstone of a great Saturday, or even as a weekday treat if you want a bit of a mid-week pick-me-up. Drizzle with nut butter, cover with banana or coat with maple syrup - the possibilities are endless.
This recipe from Rebecca at Glutarama is perfect for anyone, whether you have a gluten intolerance or not. Why not whip a batch up on Sunday so you can enjoy waffle goodness throughout the week? Store them in a single compartment Igluu meal prep container so you can grab, go and reheat!
- 90g gluten free plain flour
- 90g gluten free self raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 250ml milk
- 90g cooled, melted butter
- Sift the flours, baking powder and salt into a large bowl and add the sugar.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the egg yolks, butter and milk.
- Add this to the dry ingredients.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg whites into stiff peaks and fold into the mixture.
- Heat your waffle iron or electric waffle maker.
- Pour the mixture into your waffle iron, making sure it's hot enough beforehand by splashing a drop of water onto it. If the water steams and disappears, it's ready!
- Cook the mixture for 4 minutes, then turn over and cook for a further 2 minutes - this may vary depending on your hob!
If you're eating your waffles straight away, add each baked waffle onto a baking tray and pop in the oven on the lowest heat to keep them warm.